Friday, August 31, 2007

Let The Games Begin

Justine Henin [1]
vs.
Dinara Safina [15]

Marion Bartoli [10]
vs.
Serena Williams [8]

Jelena Jankovic [3]
vs.
Sybille Bammer [19]

Venus Williams [12]
vs.
Ana Ivanovic [3]

If these were the last eight women remaining in the draw at any WTA event, it would be a tournament director's dream.

But these are the remaining eight women in the top half of the women's draw at the US Open. Three multiple Slam champions with a combined total of 20 titles, 5 of them right here in Flushing Meadows. Two slam finalists. The No. 1 and No. 3 player in the world. The old guard versus the future of women's tennis. It doesn't get any better than this.

Seven of the top eight seeds on this side advanced to the round of 16. The only interloper is Mother Bammer of Austria who beat former finalist and No. 12 seed Elena Dementieva like she hurt her child.

Every single match could be a final at any event. Two of them could be finals at a Slam.

There hasn't been any major drama on the women's side, but if these matchups deliver, that will all change starting Sunday at the latest.

I refuse to predict the winners. What say you?

7 comments:

Albert said...

Justine, Serena, Jelena and Ana :)


I will be really surprised if I am worse than 3/4...

Helen W said...

Justine, Serena, Jelena and Venus :)

Ashley said...

I want Venus or Ana,& Serena to win. I could less about the others.

Karen said...

Craig, did you delete my post last night? I noticed when I got up this morning and came here, my post from last night, along with someone else's post had disappeared. Please tell me it is writer's imp, computer glitch or something else

Craig Hickman said...

Karen, I didn't delete any comments last night. You entered a comment under Serena's commercial and it's still there.

Karen said...

Yeah I was just coming back to tell you that I found it. Sorry bout that. LOL Forgive me.

Helen W said...

The Golden Girl cupcake with the cupcake draw is outta here.

Woo hoo!

But I couldn't help feel sorry for her when her father decided to pack up and leave before the match was over. What a hurtful thing to do.

Maybe now the WTA muckamucks might consider marketing their sport, rather than their Golden Girl du jour?