Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My First Day At The US Open

by Savannah

There are certain players I’ve disliked ever since I became a serious tennis head. Lleyton Hewitt and Martina Hingis have always been on that list. James Blake has been added to it mostly because of the JBlock.

So imagine my reaction when I checked the schedule of play for my first day out at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Who was playing on Ashe where I had paid beaucoup bucks for seats in the lower loge? Lleyton Hewitt. Martina Hingis and James Blake. Such is life.

I had to go on Tuesday instead of Wednesday because it is my family tradition for my daughter and I to go together the first day. She has classes on Wednesday, all day Wednesday, so our only chance to see some early rounds was Tuesday. I have to say we made the best of it.

Read More

11 comments:

Staci said...

Nadal not grunting. What gives? Today is a rarity. A match that Nadal seemingly doesn't want to play.

I dont see this kid winning 3 out of 5, but interesting to see Nadal simply go through the motions.

Savannah said...

I didn't see Rafa's match today so that must have indeed been interesting.

Craig Hickman said...

Rafa was in obvious pain. His road ahead will be interesting.

brooklyn1006 said...

Big props to Rafa for making it through the match. I thought he would pull out, but he made it through. To me, that says alot about his professionalism - just wanting to make it through the match and giving people a show.

oddman said...

Wonderful report, savannah, thanks so much. I got quite a kick out of reading about the moms palpitating over Rafa. (knowing I'd be one of them, lol)
Does not sound good for the Spaniard now - only caught glimpses of the match while at work, and he did look like he was in pain.
Vamos, Rafito, get better fast!

rabbit said...

Go, Rolle, go!

Craig Hickman said...

A second that on Ahsha Rolle.

Helen W said...

Rolle on!

BTW, the TV announcers mentioned that Rafa had laser surgery on his knee yesterday ....

Craig Hickman said...

Hi helen w.

Rolle on. I love it.

I was told by the physical therapist in my household that Rafa had an experimental laser treatment on his knee that's supposed to facilitate healing and act as an anti-inflammatory.

It wasn't a surgical procedure.

oddman said...

I hope it works, and works quickly, or Rafa will be going home to Mallorca within the week. Drat.

Savannah said...

Glad to read your hubby's take on the procedure. I have the sound off so I have no idea what they're talking about.