Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hantuchova Wins Linz; Qualifies for Madrid



Daniela Hantuchova defeated Patty Schnyder 6-4, 6-2 to take the Generali Ladies Linz title, her first title outside of Indian Wells and only her third career title.

The victory ties her with Maria Sharapova for second place in the Race to the Championships. If Pova withdraws, she'll get directly in. If not, it's up to the discretion of the tournmanet organizers who will play. I'll go out on a limb and say they'll pick Pova if she's ready to face the music in Madrid.

Either way, it's a great end to the season for Dani and she'll be hoping to take this ride into next year.

2 comments:

TangledStare said...

Happy she's made it, sad Venus pulled out. My YE dreams of having both in and kicking Pova out were so close to come true. I wonder if she's even in condition to play, physically and technically. As much as I'd be better off without her, it'd be kinda ugly for tennis to see another fiasco on a main tournament. Although I'm pretty sure if she doesn't manage to pull that off, some other(s) will.

Good luck to Dani, I hope she plays great tennis like she's capable of and here's to hoping the other 7 do the same for a change.

Craig Hickman said...

I posted this entry before reading the news that Venus withdrew, so I guess Dani is definitely in with Marion Bartoli as the first alternate.

I'd like to see Maid Marion in Madrid but only at the expense of Maria and nobody else.