Thursday, November 29, 2007

Portland Arrival



Portland is wet. The clouds hang down over the city just as they do in the Netherlands. And it's still beautiful. I'm oh, so happy to be here.

Our flight from Newark to Portland was full of travelers attending the Davis Cup final. You'd have thought it was a charter plane. Folks were talking in the aisles about the USA's chances. Some were speculating that Andy Roddick and Mike Bryan are still injured, others that they're healthy and ready to go.

Apparently, Continental Airlines is a USTA airline, so it wasn't a big surprise that so many DC attendees were on board.

Tennis Channel's Katrina Adams was on our flight. Yep. That's us pictured above right after we got off the plane. No comments from the peanut gallery about how weary I look. I slept for most of the six-hour flight. I was weary.

I still am. On that note, I'm signing off till tomorrow. The tie begins with Roddick versus Dmitry Tursunov, which could be the key match of the weekend. Right out of the gate.

Let the games begin.

Go USA!!!



P.S. We hung out most of the afternoon/evening at a smoky sports bar (I thought Oregon would have banned smoking in bars by now!) watching the Cowboys beat the Packers as mmmm8 from TAT used my laptop to post her photos and summary from today's draw ceremony. Check it out here.

12 comments:

oddman said...

Glad you made it there in one piece, and you don't look that tired out. Enjoy it all!

Karen said...

Oooh Craig, you are a hottie - mmmmm - now you really have to come to Cayman. You have that "sleep in" look - LOL - enjoy - I envy you so much. I will be cheering on the good ole USA to victory

The Tennis Hacker said...

The peanut gallery can't resist: That hat ought to be illegal.

oddman said...

LOL! Whaddaya talking about, hacker? That's a Mainer's hat for sure. Standard issue for any East Coaster, heh heh.

Pamela said...

I'm so jealous! I'd love to be there, I'd even wear Craig's hat for the day off to see Davis Cup live. lol Glad you made it safely ad can't wait for the updates.

tangerine said...

I'm glad you got there safe and sound! I wish I could be there with you and all the other tennis nethead nerds. Pretty cool that your plane was full of Cup attendees, the conversations must have been fun. I read somewhere that 60% of the tickets sold were for out of towners. It will be interesting to see if people from all 50 states attend as they did in Winston-Salem. Be well and enjoy the matches!

Craig Hickman said...

Hey! I got my hat in the Netherlands. It elicited two random "That's a great hat!" comments from a woman on the plane and a man in the hotel lobby. Not to mention all the positive comments in the Netherlands.

Perhaps the camera just doesn't do it justice. So there.

(Fugh alla y'all. Hehe.)

At least karen knows hotness when she sees it. ;)

Anyway, we're off to breakfast.

Andy has his work cut out for him out of the gate. Tursunov is no slouch.

Till later...

Go USA!!!!

oddman said...

OK, what do ya'll think will look better - Craig in The Hat, or Craig with his NetHead garb? I'm going with the net - cackle!

Go Andy - he should be fired up to take down Tursunov. And go James!

wbg said...

Hee Craig, nice hat:) You know how I love that hat!
Lovely that kind of clouds hee? Same here:(
Enjoy your weekend! Please give Jop a big kiss from me.

oddman said...

Awesome start for the boys - must have been a bit of a nailbiter watching the Blake-Youzhny match, Craig. I can't wait to hear from you about it all - hurry up and get blogging!!!

Karen said...

Yeah Craig, get your a** out of bed and tell us how you almost had a heart attack when Blake lost the third set. Man that was some match. Who said that Blake has no cojones. He showed some last night boy. Very exciting match. I cannot believe I was actually rooting for him to win because I just got so sick of reading everywhere that Blake would not contribute anything worthwhile to this DC final. Go JB

oddman said...

OK, OK, you are kind of cute, Craig, nice smile. Even with the hat.

Waiting.....