Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lifeline



I'm watching the replay now, even though we all already know the result. The hip-bumping team of Mardy Fish and Mike Bryan gave the US hope as they battled through five sets to defeat the lefty team of Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco.

Folks here are optimistic about Andy Roddick's chances against Rafael Nadal tomorrow. Look, I saw Andy's first match against Rafa on clay in Seville, Spain in the Davis Cup finals back in 2004. That was an entirely winnable match. And even though it was post-Wimbledon final 2004, Andy had to have more confidence than now and Rafa was still a relative newbie who had the same drive and fight and determination he has now, but far less confidence. It was the best claycourt match I've ever seen Andy play and he still lost.

Rafa may be playing poorly, but he's playing for his country. Andy can't win big five-set matches anymore, at home or abroad. And suddenly, out of nowhere, you all think Andy is going to beat Rafa on clay in Spain?

What are y'all smoking and can I have some?

11 comments:

tangerine said...

LOL. Pass the bong I want a hit too.

Craig Hickman said...

I almost wrote "puff, puff, pass."

oddman said...

Sure, gimme a hit....

Did you see Rafa play against Querrey yesterday? That sucked. And I'm a big Rafa fan. He looked awful out there. What if he's still playing like that tomorrow? That's why I'm giving Andy a chance. I didn't say he had a good chance, but a chance nontheless.

Here, have it back. Ahhhhhhhhhhh..... merci!

Beth said...

exhale...sigh. :-) Rafa did struggle quite obviously with Querrey and if his faltering continues AND Roddick is dialed in, Rafa could be in real trouble. I have to think though that being on your home turf in front of your countrymen is bound to bolster him. I guess we'll see.

oddman said...

Well, must say Rafa looking better than he did against Sam...


Gotta run, work and all... see y'all later.

Ding-Dong said...

I am a big Andy fan so i want him to win but Rafa is also a really good player that i kinda like so i wouldn't mind if he wins either but he has not been plaing so well this tournament so Andy has a chance.

Karen said...

Craig, here is the good ole Jamaican stuff - pass, pass, pass - LOL - your guy will be quite all right and who says he cannot win 5 set matches - come on Craig you have to believe just as how us Fed fans believe that one day Roger will win Roland Garros by beating Rafael Nadal - LOL Have a great Sunday everyone, off to church.

Craig Hickman said...

I'm a realist.

I don't believe in fantasies.

Karen said...

I guess realism triumphed over fantasies. Hugs to all USA fans

tristann said...

The final result Spain d. USA 4-1 turned out as expected, but I think the US squad did quite well given the circumstances.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sam Querrey. Playing the 1st match against Nadal on clay, in Spain, in front of a huge partisan crowd, he put on a respectable performance. Bodes well for USA future Davis Cup prospects.

Likewise, I was impressed by Fish. It shows that there is enough depth to change the lineup and still be able to perform well. While the Bryan Bros. have been able to practically guarantee one point for the US at every tie, I think in the long run, the US squad would benefit from at least one player in the doubles lineup who can play singles.

Craig Hickman said...

tristann, good summary.

I think Mardy Fish is a better doubles player anyway. He plays with more confidence. He's got a complete skillset, including great volleys, but he lacks guts. On the doubles court, his instincts are always on point.

I agree about Querrey, too. If he can stay hungry, he can have a decent Davis Cup career.