Friday, November 14, 2008

Force of Will



In between yelps of "What the hell if Roger Federer doing?" and "What the hell is Andy Murray doing??!!" I found myself on the edge of my seat for a match featuring two players I simply can't make myself like all that much.

But what's not to like about scintillating tennis between two players, one struggling physically, the other struggling mentally, who make remarkable plays by sheer force of will even when one of them doesn't have to win?

Hat's off to both of them.

And I noticed the tennis talkaratti have kicked Novak Djokovic to the curb. Now Andy Murray is the heir apparent to the top spot.

Who knew?

And Gilles Simon has advanced to the semifinals, also on his first try. Nice work if you can get it.

4 comments:

Olivia said...

I may never be a fan of both players, but you know what, just for the sake of witnessing such high quality match again and again, I've changed my mind.

Karen said...

Craig were you the one doing the yelping? I had to LOL when I saw that. I got brave and watched a little bit of it last night and I have to say that Roger did do well last night. In the greater scheme of things I wonder if Murray now regrets putting out all that effort to beat Roger only to go down in flames to Kolya today. In the spirit of sportsmanship, I guess it was a good thing but in relation to winning the whole event, not so much. Good on him though for making it to the semis. Still not a fan though.

Craig Hickman said...

Davydenko is a better indoor player than Murray.

Kolya has played well this week. He would have beaten Murray whether he was fresh or not.

rabbit said...

I also agree with you, Craig!