Saturday, January 31, 2009

Quote For The Day

"Well, I mean, you could think that way, but I don't think it's really going to affect Rafa that much. He's had very easy matches going into this semifinal.

"Okay, he has a day less. But, look, I mean, you got to be fit and recover from this kind of a match. I think he will, even though he took a while. His matches usually take longer than other matches because he takes his time out on the court. I don't think he will be really affected on Sunday....

"I don't think Rafa will struggle too much to get over this kind of a match. Like I said before, he's had an easy tournament so far. This was the tough one. I'm sure he's going to get over it. I see the point, but I don't think it's a valid one on this occasion." --Roger Federer

8 comments:

Beth said...

See my comment posted awhile ago under Mad's post.

Craig Hickman said...

Beth, just saw it. Raja is Raja.

Beth said...

I know...but sometimes I am just left shaking my head. :-)

Helen W said...

I trust, as he made this latest pronouncement, that he was all decked out in one of his outfits adorned with his own monogram -- why he even has it on the placquet of his fussy polo shirt -- just like some 19th-century minor-royalty wannabe.

Question: does anyone know of any other World #2 who capers about with his own monogram plastered all over his clothes? No?

Craig Hickman said...

He's really only just showing how nervous he is.

I'm not defending him. Just understanding him.

Rafa is a pretty high mountain to climb to get to 14.

Craig Hickman said...

Helen W, you are in rare form.

b said...

I saw those comments yesterday and was wondering if anyone would post them......

HelenW - you are way too funny. And right on point.

Helen W said...

Here's what Pat Cash has to say on the subject:

"If he proves himself able to recover from the longest match in Australian Open history, overcome the handicap of Roger Federer being allowed an extra day’s rest and win his first Grand Slam title on a hard court, then I will go down on my knees and revere him as a superman.

"Fate could not have worked things out more perfectly for Federer. Once again, demands of the television schedulers have thrown the concept of fairness out the window. ..."