Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I Believe The Children Are Our Future


© SA Tennis Open/Reg Caldecott

Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga joined the South African team of Jeff Coetzee and Wesley Moodie at Soweto (South Western Townships) to meet and coach some of the sprawling township's kids.


© SA Tennis Open/Reg Caldecott

The players spent more than an hour running through basic training drills with the youngest kids.



© SA Tennis Open/Reg Caldecott

Tsonga said: "I would like them to go home and dream about becoming professional tennis players one day. They've got to be able to dream about it because that could be the start of great things for them."


© SA Tennis Open/Reg Caldecott

At the end of the clinic, youngsters from the Jabavu and neighbouring areas broke out in song in appreciation and moments later Tsonga started dancing.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Love the personal pieces lately Craig. Tsonga is just so cute. I like the fact that they said he seemed happiest helping the youngest kids with the basics. How sweet.

Rad-aholic said...

I am a tennis pro in the Detroit area and I think a lot of the pros here have lost the inspiration that started them out in teaching. It seems today it's more about the pro and not the student which seems backwards to me. What do you think of this? Have you experienced this in your workings?

Craig Hickman said...

I don't play tennis, rad-aholic, (I can hit the ball, but I wouldn't call it playing tennis) so I wouldn't know.

MMT said...

"I don't play tennis, rad-aholic, (I can hit the ball, but I wouldn't call it playing tennis) so I wouldn't know."

SHAME ON YOU, Craig! First, hitting the ball counts as playing. But in case you hadn't noticed, it's a GREAT game!

In the words of your favorite Lleyton Hewitt - COME ON! ;-)

Craig Hickman said...

MMT, you're funny.