Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Safin Announces Retirement



"Paris, that's where we'll have to make it the last tournament, a tournament where I play the best tennis and where I won the Davis Cup. So I would love to say bye-bye there. Of course, I have to agree with all of the players and make it happen," he joked. But unfortunately a lot of people are very ambitious and I don't think it will happen. A nice farewell, bye-bye, and well, just win the tournament and just a present for me. I will give away the prize money to everybody. I am motivated. I'm just not working out. And I am trying to keep my body in shape with the hope there will be some good results throughout the year."--Marat Safin

5 comments:

Pamela said...

I'll miss him. :( I'm hoping he's true to his word and we'll see him in some other capacity that he won't reveal just yet. He could have accomplished so much more, but ...

Beth said...

He seems like such a conflicted soul...as though he could never quite figure out whether he was coming or going in his tennis career. He has been great (and infuriating at the same time) to watch. So many matches I have been rooting for him and hanging on the edge of my seat as he can really bring the 'fire'. I hope that he goes onto something that is meaningful and happy for him.

Beth said...

I love how things get sensationalized. I decided to look up info on Safin's retirement. This article says that "Federer pleads with Safin" to not to quit a future Australian Open. I don't see any pleading going on there....
http://marat-safin-news.newslib.com/story/2299-3171643/

lynney62 said...

I love the guy...but...I'll believe it when I see it!
Marat..Marat..Marat.......don't ever grow up!

MMT said...

The best natural striker of the ball left in the game. It's a shame the rest of his game has fallen so short these last 3 years.