Friday, April 24, 2009

Tennis and Politics

Sometimes, tennis and politics mix quite well. Sometimes they don't. This is a tennis blog. It will remain a tennis blog unless or until I shut it down, and I ask all of my readers to respect that. It doesn't mean that politics is never discussed, because I don't compartmentalize my life with any rigidity. As some of you know, I often post links to other subjects in the sidebar to raise awareness about them.

I do, however, have another blog where politics is more front and center. That blog is called Fumbling Toward Divinity, named after my adoption reunion memoir that I published back in 2005. That blog doesn't get too many comments because it's so personal it doesn't have high traffic. I'm perfectly fine with that. But I invite you all to discuss political, social and cultural issues with me over there if that's your passion.

If you desire more rigorous discourse with many more participants, I'm a regular reader and commenter at Jack and Jill Politics. It welcomes people from every background and political persuasion and the discussions are wonderful. There's a daily open thread where people can bring up any issue they like, post links to articles, stories, and essays and the discussions are never boring. I encourage readers of this blog who want to engage me in politics and other non-tennis topics to come visit me there and we can go at it.

Thank you all for your readership. I appreciate everyone who comments here, whether I agree with you or not, especially if I don't, and I hope that people continue to visit.

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation.

Peace.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Aah poor Craig. I will definitely send you some Blue Mountain next time around. Is your jerk seasoning finished?

Craig Hickman said...

Poor Craig? Please don't feel sorry for me. I'm blessed. There's nothing whatsoever wrong.

I am finished with the jerk seasoning, though. ;)

Some (more) oxtail soup is simmering on the stove.

Graf_sampras said...

THIS IS GREAT!!! Thanks so much Craighickman!!!


now I can invite BETH over there!!!

let's go there Beth!!

Graf_sampras said...

by the way READ this amazing article:

THIS IS GREAT!!! Thanks so much Craighickman!!!


now I can invite BETH over there!!!

let's go there Beth!!


it's about an autistic boy who was getting worse and worse and his parents were losing him.....

and somehow he chances to meet a horse named Betsy -- and they see some response from him..with the horse..and they bring him to Mongolia to ride horses....but he runs straight INTO a FULL herd of horses and could have been easily trampled....because he started babbling right there among the huge legs and hoofs...but the "ruler" Mare - she turned her head down, a sign of submission among horses ...and the more the boy was with them the more he developed communication...and started to sing songs, talk little sentences...

but these were not consistent because of course they coulnd't have horses all the time...

then the father met some tribal shamans from Botswana -- who all offered to try and heal him...and they put their hands on his head....

and he started to respond even more....

AMAZING!!!

i love stories like that!!

it's what Roger Federer needs right now!

Graf_sampras said...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/autism.horse.mongolia/index.html

Graf_sampras said...

EVERYONE == please regularly visit and read Craighickman's other Blog

"FUMBLING TOWARD DIVINITY".

Craighickman -- the water broke reading your descriptions and pictures - especially with your family.

!

HoiHa said...

Karen - your Jamaican?!! No wonder we seem to agree on so many things ... now if I could get some ackee in Hong Kong I would be in heaven - saltfish I buy by the caseload when I go to Macau - can even find a Chinese green vegetable close to calaloo - but alas no ackee ...and lol I make one wicked rundown.

Craig - thanks for sharing your wonderful story - having love in our lives, and in our hearts, wherever it may come from, is what it's all about.

Karen said...

LOL - was not pitying you by the way. Just a Jamaican expression to express sympathy and to state how much I understand why you had to post what you posted about politics and such. I am aware that you are blessed as I realise that you live a full and active life and you are surrounded with people who you love and who love you in return. That being said, more jerk seasoning and blue mountain coffee on its way by FedEx. However, this time around you will have to cheer on Roger for Wimbledon 2009 (always a price to pay - aint it?)

Karen said...

HoiHa are you also Jamaican? What a gwaan? Even though I am still living in the Caribbean, ackee is so hard to come by here in Cayman. When you do get ackee it tends to not have the same flavour as what you get in Jamaica because the soil here is so poor and salty. Anywho, if you are Jamaican, glad to know that we are still representing all over the world. I swear if all Jamaicans came home we would not have space to keep us.

HoiHa said...

Karen so true - there are more jamaicans off the island than on - and I would be the only one in HK save for the occasional trade ambassador who gets posted out here - used to have family in cayman but not any longer - we R still in Trini, Antigua and Guyana ... the world is small.

Off to watch Rafa and davydenko play ... but it's a small world.