Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Quote For The Day

"If I had an opportunity to choose what I wanted to do in childhood, I wouldn't have gone for tennis. It is a sport that I was always pushed to do, first by my parents, then provincial and national sports administrators. I love what it is right now. In the past, national or the provincial sports administrators arranged everything for you and you had no options but to follow their arrangements. It is very important for us to have the right to choose. I really mean it."--Li Na, calling for an overhaul of China's rigid sports program to give athletes the right to pursue their careers without strict government controls.

4 comments:

Joe O'Brien said...

Excellent quote. Li Na really doesnt seem too happy to be playing tennis. The chinese sports program sounds awful. Nobody should be forced into doing something they dont want to.

Matt said...

Go Li! She is such a superstar. I remember comments from Zheng Jie at Wimbledon last year being slightly contradictory to this - representing the Chinese program in a more positive light, which I found somewhat worrying. I believe she said that they even have to give a percentage of ALL prize-money to the Chinese Tennis Federation.

I actually met Li Na in Melbourne last year just after she won Brisbane. She was a really, really bright and bubbly girl. I hope that her wishes one day materialise into something real.

em said...

I actually met Li Na in Melbourne last year just after she won Brisbane. She was a really, really bright and bubbly girl. I hope that her wishes one day materialise into something real.

Matt,

You put it just right and i hope you are!

::

Yes we Can


Hey Craig,
Good point of view from a tennis player with a lot of tennis balls,no?

keep the faith

::

hugs

sG said...

Wow, Li Na, good on you! Speak truth to power. That quote, Craig, made me remarkably sad.