Saturday, August 01, 2009

Catching Up

STANFORD, CA - JULY 31:  Serena Williams towels off between games while playing Samantha Stosur of Australia in their quarterfinal match on Day 5 of the Bank of the West Classic July 31, 2009 in Stanford, California.
Getty

When was the last time Serena Williams won an event between Wimbledon and the US Open?

Damned if I know.

Haven't been able to watch more than four or five games of tennis since summer arrived in Maine. I check the score when I get around to it and post the results if time allows.

I tried watching the veterans duke it out in LA. But when Marat Safin gave Tommy Haas the break right back with consecutive double faults and stopped fighting his opponent, I stopped fighting sleep.

As for Serena. I would imagine she had all sorts of trouble breaking Samantha Stosur's serve. The Roland Garros semifinalist who held match points against Serena in Melbourne earlier this year, has the second best set of serves on the tour and enjoys playing the best Slam performer in the world. I was a bit surprised of the third-set score, but Sam finally got that out of her system.

Better not happen again.

I see Miss EleVen, on another one of her home courts, tore through Miss 100%, Miss Legs is right where she usually is, and Maid Marion still can't lose to Miss Melodrama.

Now who's going to win the title?

::

Bank Of The West Classic

Singles - Quarterfinals
Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. (1) Serena Williams (USA) 62 36 62
(2) Venus Williams (USA) d. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 62 62
(3) Elena Dementieva (RUS) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 62 64
(8) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (4) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 36 76(3) 63

Doubles - Quarterfinals
Chan/Niculescu (TPE/ROU) d. (1) Black/Huber (ZIM/USA) 75 63

::

LA Tennis Open

Singles - Quarterfinals
[1] T Haas (GER) d [8] M Safin (RUS) 76(3) 62
L Mayer (ARG) d [2] M Fish (USA) walkover (abdominal strain)
[6] S Querrey (USA) d [4] D Sela (ISR) 63 75
[Q] C Ball (AUS) d J Isner (USA) 64 64

Doubles - Semifinals
[1] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) d M Melo (BRA) / A Sa (BRA) 62 64

Doubles - Quarterfinals
B Becker (GER) / F Moser (GER) d Y Lu (TPE) / D Vemic (SRB) 64 26 10-8

5 comments:

Karen said...

Welcome back Craig or at least what little of you I can "see". This is one day that I am forever grateful to the tennis powers that be for tape delayed matches. I just saw the score with Venus and I cannot believe she did LenaD like that. Someone said elsewhere that Sharapova never stood a chance last night. Did I just hear someone question whether there is anyone better than Andy Murray. Ahm, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick. The list goes on and on. Andy Murray is a 3 set player. Give him a fifth set and he either wins it or has nothing left for the next match.

Will said...

Last time Serena won a tournament between Wimbledon and the US Open: 2001 Toronto. The only other times? 99 and 2000 Los Angeles.

It's quite clear that Serena uses warm-up tournaments as just that: warm-ups to see where her form is and how much work she'll need to do in order to peak at the slams. Which is fine, even though it'd be great to have her dominate all season long; as a fan of hers, I'd rather see her winning the Open than tournaments like Stanford or LA. Safina can have those and build her points-lead!

Karen said...

Will, I want her to win the small tournaments as well. I want her to be dominating. I want when all those other women on the WTA see her name in the draw, they quake in their Nikes. I know she is at the twilight of her career and she has to be careful as to how she does her schedule etc., but I hate to see her getting beaten by people like Stosur. Just burns me up. On that note however, I am glad that she is playing doubles. Did you see the Venus/LenaD match today. Man, I came home and saw the score and I was shocked. Then I saw the match and Venus was just dominant. I wonder why LenaD has so much success with Serena and not much with Venus. I like that slice that Venus has added to her game. It throws her opponents off. Nice.

Matthew said...

Oh, awesome - ESPN2 is replaying the Williams-Dementieva match from this afternoon, the longest 6-0, 6-1 beatdown you could ever have the displeasure of suffering through, even while Sam Stosur and Marion Bartoli are playing live.

And I already watched that match this afternoon on a streaming feed. I guess a boring match on tape delay involving a Williams sister is better than a live match between two relative unknowns.

Pamela said...

Serena played Stosur like she was annoyed to be on court at all. Granted, Stosur has improved a great deal but when was the last time you have seen Serena narrow her eyes and dig in when she's down? Not outside of the slams and Miami. It was practice.

At least they won the doubles.

Venus. What can I say? She was off. Marion was on, and had Dr. Bartoli to help her through it on court and in the stands. The man needed to be ejected in my eyes. That's so junior tennis to me. 50 errors, audible admonishing of herself (that rarely happens) and really, that's all it was.

Maria may be back, but her serve is not. She will continue to lose to the top players with a serve and a return game. She was never fleet-footed, but she looks slow now.

What else? Oh yeah, Davy won another tournament. Woo hoo! AND they gave him a huge trophy this time. lol Sam Q broke through and beat someone most have never even heard of in C. Ball in 3 sets.

That's it. All caught up?