Thursday, August 06, 2009

Face Of The Day

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus reacts to losing a point during her loss to Russia's Maria Sharapova in a tennis match at the LA Women's Tennis Championships in Carson, California, August 5, 2009.
Reuters

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus reacts to losing a point during her loss to Russia's Maria Sharapova in a tennis match at the LA Women's Tennis Championships in Carson, California, August 5, 2009.

::

LA Women's Tennis Oopen

Singles - Second Round
(1) Dinara Safina (RUS) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 62 64
Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (3) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 67(4) 64 62
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) d. (4) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 16 64 76(5)
(5) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Shahar Peer (ISR) 64 26 63
Urszula Radwanska (POL) d. (7) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 64 67(6) 64
(8) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 62 61
(10) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. (WC) Coco Vandeweghe (USA) 62 64
(12) Li Na (CHN) d. Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 46 64 62
(13) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 62 64
(14) Zheng Jie (CHN) d. Elena Vesnina (RUS) 64 46 60
(17) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 61 64
Alona Bondarenko (UKR) d. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 57 64 75
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) d. Alisa Kleybanova (RUS) 63 36 61
Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. (Q) Jill Craybas (USA) 76(2) 61

Doubles - First Round
(1) Stosur/Stubbs (AUS/AUS) d. Ruano Pascual/Zheng (ESP/CHN) 64 64
King/Niculescu (USA/ROU) d. (3) Pennetta/Raymond (ITA/USA) 75 63
(4) Hsieh/Peng (TPE/CHN) d. Poutchek/Savchuk (BLR/UKR) 62 63
Kirilenko/A.Radwanska (RUS/POL) d. Kudryavtseva/Rodionova (RUS/RUS)
62 46 104

::

Legg Mason Tennis Classic

Singles - Second Round
[1] A Roddick (USA) d B Becker (GER) 63 62
J Isner (USA) d [3] J Tsonga (FRA) 46 76(2) 76(4)
[4] F Gonzalez (CHI) d [Q] A Falla (COL) 75 75
[5] R Soderling (SWE) d M Youzhny (RUS) 63 61
J Ferrero (ESP) d [7] T Robredo (ESP) 63 62
P Petzschner (GER) d [9] M Fish (USA) 16 64 61
[11] I Karlovic (CRO) d R Schuettler (GER) 64 75
M Gicquel (FRA) d [12] V Troicki (SRB) 30 ret. (right foot)
W Odesnik (USA) d [13] I Andreev (RUS) 26 75 64
[Q] S de Chaunac (FRA) d [14] D Tursunov (RUS) 36 76(3) 75
L Hewitt (AUS) d [15] D Sela (ISR) 63 26 62
[16] S Querrey (USA) d I Kunitsyn (RUS) 63 64

Doubles - Quarterfinals
M Damm (CZE) / R Lindstedt (SWE) d [3] M Bhupathi (IND) / M Knowles (BAH) 36 61 16-14 - saved 2 M.P.

Doubles - First Round

[5] M Fyrstenberg (POL) / M Matkowski (POL) d T Berdych (CZE) / L Dlouhy (CZE) 75 63
T Parrott (USA) / F Polasek (SVK) d S Aspelin (SWE) / P Hanley (AUS) 64 67(1) 10-4

7 comments:

MMT said...

It's not everyday that I can say I'm glad Sharapova won a tennis match, but I sure am glad today.

mznblue said...

Talk about a picture saying a thousand words.

Karen said...

MMT, why dont you like her. I know that I have issues with her emotional outbursts on court, as well as her sometimes nasty attitude, but there is something about her that I really admire. Not sure what it is just yet. I am a bit fickle with her right now. There are days when I like her and other days when I am glad she got beat. Yesterday was not one of those days when I was glad she got beat. I think it says a lot about her that in her first match back since Wimby it took the shoulder surgery repaired fearsome fighter that is Sharapova 3 sets to put her out. Another thing, I am getting a bit tired of people talking about this Sharapova fighter and this shoulder surgery and injury etc etc etc. I am scoreboard watching her match right now against Bondarenko and she has served up 13 double faults already. That was the same numbers she was serving up before she had her shoulder repaired. Now we are hearing that she is trying a new service toss and is still getting used to it. I am beginning every day that passes to join Craig in his conspiracy theory room, i.e. there was no shoulder injury.

Craig Hickman said...

Victoria Azarenka was hyped as Maria Sharapova 2.0.

And look what Sharapova brought her two over the course of three sets.

I'm with MMT on this one.

Karen said...

ok, now I get it.

Matt said...

I simply don't understand why there is so much dislike for Azarenka!

I personally love her feisty play - it brings much excitement to the game.

Craig Hickman said...

I don't understand why there's so much like for Victoria Azarenka.

She's a spoiled brat.