Saturday, November 07, 2009

Fed Cup Final Open Thread

REGGIO CALABRIA, ITALY - NOVEMBER 07: USA team during the national anthems at the Final of the Fed Cup World Group between Italy and the USA at Circolo Tennis Rocco Polimeni on November 7, 2009 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.
Getty

USA team during the national anthems at the Final of the Fed Cup World Group between Italy and the USA at Circolo Tennis Rocco Polimeni on November 7, 2009 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

::

Italy leads USA 1-0. I haven't checked the scores, but that would mean Flavia Pennetta had her way with Alexa Glatch. Melanie Oudin just broke Francesca Schiavone in the fourth game of the second rubber.

2 comments:

b said...

Seems Ms. Oudin is getting a little full of herself..... Let's see her turn up for Fed Cup when she's a the end of a long season at the very top, having defended/won major titles and being on the verge of a major injury..... and, on top of it all, had the country she's supposed to play for her gleefully disown her and a lifetime of service at the glimmer of a fresh face ranked some 50 spots down the rankings

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2009/1108/oudin_williams.html
"'For me, this is what I wanted. I wanted to come here. I wanted to play for my country,' said Oudin.

'I don't know, other people choose different things. Some people, I guess, didn't want to play as badly as I did.

'But I think that the team that we had here really wanted to be here. I think that was what should have happened.

'I mean, you don't want people here that don't want to be here.

'Next year we're gonna have people that want to be here again. That's what you want. You don't want people that don't want to be here or play for their country.

'Even if you lose, if you give it everything you have, then that's the best you can do.'"

stocksmd said...

After playing one other Fed Cup match the audacity of Oudin to question the Williams sisters partriotism is outrageous!
Perhaps she was scapegoating to take away the disappointment and placeing blame for her loss on the
Williams sisters.