Monday, January 25, 2010

Quote For The Day

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 25:  Serena Williams of the United States of America serves in her fourth round match against Samantha Stosur of Australia during day eight of the 2010 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 25, 2010 in Melbourne, Australia.
Getty

“It's important when you're playing a local girl to not let the crowd get too involved or else they'll kill you. That was the plan: to not let them get involved. I knew she was capable. She beat me last time and anything can happen. So she's a really, really good player and so dangerous. I was like, you have to be focused when you're playing Sam[antha Stosur], for sure.”--Serena Williams

And focused she was. Like a laser.

It was a serving display like none I've seen from anyone before, woman or man. 10 aces. 1 double fault. Three breakpoints saved with aces. Seven points total lost on serve, only two in the first set. She remains the only player left in the draw, woman or man, to not have her serve broken.

Breathtaking.

Notice served.

With the victory, Serena will remain world No. 1 no matter what happens this weekend.

Women's Singles Fourth Round
(1) Serena Williams (USA) d. (13) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 64 62
(16) Li Na (CHN) d. (4) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 64 63
(6) Venus Williams (USA) d. (17) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 36 62 61
(7) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (9) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 46 64 60

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France (R) and Spain's Nicolas Almagro shakes hands at the conclusion of their match at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne January 25, 2010.
Reuters

Nicolas Almagro and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga played this year's surprise epic. After the first two sets, it appeared to be a routine beatdown. But Tsonga started doing what Tsonga does, while Almagro became a player I hardly recognized.

Men's Singles Fourth Round
[1] R Federer (AUS) d [22] L Hewitt (AUS) 62 63 64
[3] N Djokovic (SRB) d L Kubot (POL) 61 62 75
[6] N Davydenko (RUS) d [9] F Verdasco (ESP) 62 75 46 67(5) 63
[10] J Tsonga (FRA) d [26] N Almagro (ESP) 63 64 46 67(6) 97

Men's Doubles - Third Round
[3] L Dlouhy (CZE) / L Paes (IND) d J Isner (USA) / S Querrey (USA) 63 75
F Gonzalez (CHI) / I Ljubicic (CRO) d [11] S Aspelin (SWE) / P Hanley (AUS) 64 63
M Kohlmann (GER) / J Nieminen (FIN) d S Bolelli (ITA) / A Seppi (ITA) 46 76(3) 76(6)

Women's Doubles - Third Round
(15) Kirilenko/A.Radwanska (RUS/POL) d. (3) Llagostera Vives/Martínez Sánchez (ESP/ESP) 61 62
(6) Raymond/Stubbs (USA/AUS) d. Chan/Niculescu (TPE/ROU) 75 63
(8) Mattek-Sands/Yan (USA/CHN) d. (9) Vesnina/Zheng (RUS/CHN) 64 64

Mixed Doubles - Second Round
(1) Cara Black (ZIM) /Leander Paes (IND) d. Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB)/Rik De Voest (RSA) 64 62
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)/Jaroslav Levinsky (CZE) d. (2) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)/Daniel Nestor (CAN) w/o
Chuang Chia-Jung (TPE)/Filip Polasek (SVK) d (3) Bethanie Mattek-Sands/Bob Bryan (USA) 75 76(4)
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE)/Oliver Marach (AUT) d. (6) Alisa Kleybanova (RUS)/Max Mirnyi (BLR) 36 63 10-7
(8) Elena Vesnina (RUS)/Andy Ram (ISR) d. Anna-Lena Gronefeld/Christopher Kas (GER) 36 75 10-6
Flavia Pennetta (ITA)/Marcelo Melo (BRA) d. (WC) Jarmila Groth/Samuel Groth (AUS) 62 63

Mixed Doubles - First Round
Raquel Kops-Jones (USA)/Dick Norman (BEL) d. (5) Maria Kirilenko (RUS)/Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) 63 36 11-9

15 comments:

rabbit said...

Allez Serena!! I couldn't see the original match but watched a replay right now. That was so, so sweet!

b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
b said...

wow - i still need to see this match but sounds amazing.....

i hope she and venus meet in the semis - if that happens i'm not convinced it will be a walk in the park for serena

anyway i'm so impressed with serena's performance this tournament

Mad Professah said...

9-7 in the 5th for Tsonga! I didn't see THAT coming...maybe Almagro has some cojones after all...

I really think Ciilic might be able to get to the final....

He is H U N G R Y!

Craig said...

I don't know, Mad. Cilic has looked a little shaky to me. It's just that del Potro was shakier. He'll make the semifinals, though.

Karen said...

I just read an article on the Serena match last night and all I could do was shake my head at the language used to describe the match. Here is the article for those interested. If you really like Serena, please do not read the article:
http://tinyurl.com/y9cg9ku

Craig said...

Karen, I have to say that article reads like satire. I had to laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the writer was serious about every word he chose in painting Serena as a violent savage, but at this point, I just have to laugh.

I used up all my anger on Mary Carillo. I'm just over the incendiary images some folks want to use to describe who Serena is and what she does on the court.

But Serena is using her anger to crush her opponents.

I hope she doesn't let up for one second.

b said...

Hi Karen

Against your advice, I went and read it anyway. Yes it's nasty and racist but I've never read an article in an Australian publication about Serena that wasn't overflowing with venom....

So this is her reward for a great performance. I suppose the write up of Fed dismantling Hewitt (while admittedly not as absolute) will praise her talents

Craig said...

Listen, Serena's performance was brutal. I'd say that about any player who delivered it. (They're showing it on replay now by the way) She wanted to win every single point of the match and the intensity in her face and body language was off the charts. If folks want to turn that into something racial, that's on them.

It's time to flip the script.

Karen said...

It was awful, wasn't. Just terrible, but when people describe you the way how the writer has described Serena you know that they are afraid, very afraid.

lilac said...

Thank jesus, I'm on my bberry and the link is not clickable. Knowing me, I'd read the article and start ranting. Time to turn a new leaf. I'm watching the replay on ESPN. It's inspiring. She's inspiring. Delivering under pressure; being hated, resented; having a target on her back; being sanctioned. She's a diamond -- and you know what a diamond is: a piece of coal under pressure. Happiness is the best revenge....let me stop.

Karen said...

Any of you guys going to watch the Henin/Petrova match? Not sure if I am

lilac said...

I'm watching. Nadia is nervous.

Dapxin said...

Now all ya r making me go find a recording of the game at all cost now.....

I just read the article, and it was clearly written by someone who got shocked! by whatever it was Serena delivered for Stosur last night - and I must find it now.

Then, lost for words, and rather than start off with respect, the writer sought to hide his frustrations, nil pain - and resentment, under a cloaky if laughable satire.

Its not racist. Its just disRespectful!

Maybe its nationalistic panderings...

You know, it would have all been material for the toilet flush, were Serena truly treated with heavenly applaud, no! heroic satire all within and about in America.

Sadly,
Reality is now.
And the world order,
shapes it all,
even if beauty,
never gets ordered.

Its ordained in hearts,
where no hatred,
or lack,
insight + reverence,
the wrap of beauty,
never reaches.

Miles apart.

Beauty. A Queen. and hearts...

PTCruiser said...

Well, I woke up at 4:15 a.m. and began watching the match between Serena and Justine. Although I was rooting for Serena, Henin had been one of my favorite players, too, until that crass incident she pulled on Williams several years ago at the French Open. Now I never cheer for her no matter who she is playing.

I thought Serena might go down for the count given her play in the second set but she managed to pick up her game and sail away from Henin. Satisfied, I went back to sleep.